Please complete and send with your entry before SEPTEMBER 10, 2018:
MAIL TO: 2018 Awards Program, CEMA,
c/o 1 St. Andres Court, Thornhill, ON L3T 2N3
Tel: (416) 488-0048
To cover handling costs, please enclose a cheque or money order for $10.00 for each entry, payable to Canadian Ethnic Media Association (CEMA).
WHO YOU ARE (☐ the NOMINATOR / ☐ the ENTRANT)
DETAILS OF NOMINEE OR ENTRANT (you can be both – if you are, check here ☐)
Name of Nominee:
Title of Entry:
Category for nomination (see Page 4 for details)
Please explain why you are nominating this work:
I enclose four (4) copies of each entry and agree to abide by the rules of CEMA awards program as outlined in pages 3 and 4.
Signature of Nominator / Entrant Date
Rules and Regulations
1. Award plaques will be given to winning entrants in print, radio, television and internet in each category as outlined on page 4: Print, Radio, Television, Documentary, Podcasting, Internet & Innovation.
• Competition is open to all legitimate news and information media published or broadcast in Canada.
• Content of the work submitted should clearly relate to and reflect Canada’s multicultural diversity and/or ethnocultural communities in Canada.
• All work must be original, and listings of coming events or other like information submitted by others will not be accepted.
• A contestant may submit his/her own entry or be nominated by a third party.
• Entries must have been published or broadcast between the dates of July 1, 2017 and July 1, 2018. Date of publication or broadcast must be clearly marked on the submission.
• Entries can be in any language, but all entries in languages other than English or French must be accompanied by an English or French translation. A direct translation is preferred, but at minimum, a brief synopsis is required.
• Entries must contain four (4) copies of each piece of work submitted. That is to say, four (4) copies of any article, audio or video recording or printout from a website published or broadcast between July 1, 2017 and July 1, 2018.
3. Judging: Entries will be independently juried and awards will be made on the basis of excellence and Canadian content. Awards are not given to an entire program or publication, however excellent it may be, but to a person for an individual submission or a series as defined in the categories on page 4. The exception to this is the Innovation Award which is given to an organization.
4. Rights: By entering the Awards, you, as the entrant and/or nominee give CEMA the right to publish, screen or play excerpts from the winning entries.
5. Entry Fee: A cheque or money order for $10.00 must accompany each entry. Make cheques payable to “Canadian Ethnic Media Association” (CEMA).
6. Deadline: Submissions must be received no later than September 10, 2018.
7. The winning entries will be announced at the CEMA Awards ceremony, November 9, 2018.
CEMA AWARDS CATEGORIES: 2018
CATEGORY 1: PRINT
For the best news story or feature article, column, opinion piece or editorial. Where the story has been told in series form*, up to three consecutively published stories dealing with the same subject will be permitted.
CATEGORY 2: RADIO
For the best news story, feature or opinion piece. Where the story or feature has been told in series form*, up to three consecutive entries dealing with the same subject will be permitted.
CATEGORY 3: TELEVISION
For the best news story, feature or opinion piece. Where the story has been told in series form*, up to three consecutive entries dealing with the same subject will be permitted.
CATEGORY 4: DOCUMENTARY
For the best documentary that demonstrates excellence in storytelling, production values and distinctive subject matter.
CATEGORY 5: PODCASTING
For best news story, feature or opinion piece. Where the podcast is in episodic format, stories that best reflect the series will be considered.
CATEGORY 6: INTERNET MEDIA
For the best story, feature or opinion piece. Where the story has been told in series form*, up to three consecutive entries dealing with the same subject will be permitted.
CATEGORY 7: INNOVATION
The Innovation Award showcases organizations that demonstrate innovation and excellence in Canadian Ethnic Journalism. It is truly a unique award for outstanding contribution to diverse, fair and equitable coverage and representation of Canada’s citizenry.
*Note: “Series form” – means the entries must be related in subject or must be part of a series.